Monday, April 20, 2009

Pace Line

I had a very nice weekend for the most part. My machine was successfully accepted by the customer at work and I managed to get out a little early on Friday. Saturday was one of the busier days I've had recently. Summer is getting slowly closer and my schedule like most of yours is getting busy.

Saturdays ride started off like any other. I felt good and determined to be at the front and push my self that little bit more. I had plenty of aggression to get out from the previous week at work. I showed up and there was a very disappointing showing of the Titletown crew. I believe there were only six of us that showed and the rest were others from the newvelo site. Before we headed out I tried to warn the others that extra layers would not be needed, some listened.

So we rolled out with a nice easy pace, I was itching to get going with an unusual amount of energy. We got to the hills at thornberry and our field began to show how we would split up. We regouped and decided to let the faster group go, which included myself, Shawn, and Mark. It didn't take long for me to figure out that our group meant business. We had a paceline going for a good 15 miles cruising at about 22mph. It was fun and gave me something to think about along the way. The first time I attacked no one followed, I don't know why? I hadn't really intended for anyone to follow anyway,just a little Wenzlick flyer to keep my energy in control. The second time I attacked was with a tail wind. We had just turned onto a new road and the tail wind felt awsome. I cruised at 25 for a little while with no effort, and then the numbers began to climb. I started to push past 30, passing the main group and then I started to push. I was going at around 34mph and could sense no one was behind ,but I looked and there they all were stuck to my draft. Three of them passed me as I started to lose energy, and I tried with all my might to hitch on. So that went on for a couple miles maybe two or three, and it was probably the most fun couple miles I ever had on a road bike.

On the way back toward thornberry we were doing about 22 and I started to die. Shawn and I were trying to hang onto the back of the group and I barely did. Overall for me it was one of the most enjoyable rides I have done. I don't know what happened with me this year, but I feel a lot stronger. We'll just have to see if I can translate the Road to the Mountain.

Other notes, went to Shawn's place for a little while to celebrate the big forty. There were no black balloons to be seen and rightly so. All of the finely aged fellas on our team are a big example of how I want to be when I'm just a little bit older. I hope I can keep it up!
I spent around 10 hours working on the car over the weekend and it's alive! Rain severly hampered our testing plans, but hopfully this wednesday night we'll be able to run it more.

2 comments:

  1. What the heck happened to getting your but kicked at Platteville? It was fun and you should have came.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry that it didn't work out. I needed to go in to work on the Electric Car for NWTC. I have deadline of next Sunday and still had a lot to get done. The road ride was a blast, but I'm going to the camp ASAP.

    ReplyDelete